Thursday, August 11, 2011

Reverse Applique...our first tutorial YAY

Hi there fellow crafters!  I’m so glad that you found the “With Love Boutique” blog.  I hope that you will find great info that will inspire you to get off the computer and make something beautiful.  I am by no means an expert crafter, but I love to create so that helps : )  When I’m not crafting (which is mostly sewing) I am a loving and devoted wife and mother.  It kind of makes it easy to be devoted and loving when you’ve got a husband and kids like mine, love you guys!  I guess I’ve always liked to be crafty, but I’ve really gotten into it over the past several years.  Last year I finally took the plunge and opened my own Etsy shop, The Paisley Rabbit, where I offer children’s clothes and accessories.  Now, with two other incredibly talented ladies, my creations can be found at With Love Boutique at Frisco Mercantile.  Happy blogging!!!!


I was going through one of my many overflowing drawers the other day trying to get rid of stuff. It’s just so hard to throw something out when you think that it could be put to good use one day, hmmmm I sound like a hoarder!
Anyway, I came across a tank top that I had totally forgotten I purchased.  I also had some sparkly red fabric that I had used for my daughter’s July 4th shirt.  I knew that I wanted to use it, but wanted to do something quick.  I’m a huge fan of instead gratification ; )
I decided that my niece needed a new tank, so this is what I came up with.


 
This is a very simple reverse appliqué shirt that you can turn out in less than 30 minutes.  That’s how long it took me and I had to stop a couple of times to referee a fight or two between my kids.
What you’ll need:
Tank Top (or any shirt really) – this is a great way to salvage those shirts that have a stain that you just can’t get out
Fabric for the appliqué
Marker
A Cut out of the design you want to use
Scissors
Sewing machine
The first thing you need to do is start with the fabric that you will be using for your appliqué.  On the wrong side trace your design.  You can find all kinds of designs on the internet, just google “free coloring pages” some will have pretty elaborate designs, but you can also find some simple ones.


Next, you will need to cut out your design.  DO NOT CUT ON THE LINE THAT YOU JUST TRACED OF YOUR DESIGN!!!!!  This line will be your guide when sewing, so just cut around the outside of the line.
Then you will need to secure the appliqué to your shirt.  You will need to turn your shirt inside out.  Place your design, right side down, on the shirt.  You can get all fancy trying to get it perfectly straight, I just eye-balled it.  Then, pin the tar out of it.  I used lots and lots of pins!!!!!!

Now you’re ready to sew.  Use the line that you traced as your guide and stitch all the way around.

You’re almost done!  Turn your shirt right side out.  Be very careful and cut just the shirt around the inside of the stitch you made around the design.
Now your little cutie has a new shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment